Be Prepared for 2018 Minimum Wage Rise
One the 1st April 2018 the national minimum wage rates (NMW) and national living wage (NLW) are set to increase. To help the Essex based businesses we work with to comply we’ve drawn up this handy whistle stop guide to the new rates, and reminder of the workers who are, and are not entitled:
2018 minimum wage rates
Age Current rate Rates from April 2018
25 and over £7.50 £7.83
21 to 24 £7.05 £7.38
18 to 20 £5.60 £5.90
Under 18 £4.05 £4.20
Apprentice* £3.50 £3.70
Understand the various wage rates
- The National Living Wage (not to be confused by the “living wage” below) relates to those aged over 25 years of age. Its aim is to ensure that workers over the age of 25 are paid a minimum of £9.00per hour by 2020. In the meantime the above rates apply.
- Currently, National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates are the same, whether workers are employed inside, or outside of London.
- In addition to these two wage rates, there is also something called the “Living Wage”. As an employer you can elect to pay rather than it being the minimum you can pay by law.
- The rates for this Living Wage have been increased (as of November 2017) to £8.75 an hour, with the London Living Wage separately calculated as being £10.20 per hour. Remember though this is a voluntary amount and no more.
- There are a few types of worker who aren’t entitled to the National Minimum Wage or National Living Wage. Those include the self-employed, company directors, volunteers, workers on a government programme and members of the armed forces.
For more information on this potentially tricky subject, contact us at Quality HR for honest, expert employment law advice.
EMPLOYEER HR LAW CONSULTATION
About Quality HR – Specialist Employment Law Solicitor
Based in Billericay, Essex, Quality HR is a small and dedicated employment law and human resources solicitors. With many years’ experience, helping small to medium sized companies in their day to day dealings with their employees.
Our business clients describe our service as unique, friendly and receptive, meaning they don’t have to employ inhouse HR staff. Our goal is to help take away the burden of human resource issues through our high standards and extensive experience.
We have a number of affordable options to ensure a service to suit all businesses and budgets, and our approach is proven to achieve the best results for minimum outlay.
For a personal service, practical advice and quick resolution contact us today. We’re always happy to help.